Noble Premium Bison steaks are marinated in coffee and spices for a bison and refried bean tostada that is jam-packed with tasty flavours.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes (+ marinating time)
Coffee Marinated Steaks:
1 cup (250 mL) strong brewed coffee, cold
1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
2 tbsp (30 mL) cider vinegar
2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
2 tbsp (30 mL) Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp (15 mL) ancho chili powder
1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and pepper
4 Noble Premium Bison Inside Round Steaks or Noble Premium Bison Top Sirloin Steaks (2 lb/908 g)
Quick Pickled Red Onions:
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
2/3 cup (150 mL) cider vinegar
1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and granulated sugar
1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
2 slices bacon, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
1 can (398 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
Canola oil, for frying
8 corn tortillas
1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
1/3 cup (75 mL) crumbled queso fresco, or feta
1/4 cup (60 mL) loosely packed cilantro leaves
4 lime wedges, for serving
1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream
2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- Coffee Marinated Steaks: In shallow dish, stir together coffee, oil, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper; add steaks, tossing to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Quick Pickled Red Onions: Place red onion slices in medium-size Mason jar. In small saucepan set over high heat, combine vinegar, salt and sugar; bring to boil. Pour over red onion slices; let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes or until pickled. Refrigerate; drain well before serving.
- Refried Beans: Heat oil in skillet set over medium heat; cook bacon for 3 to 5 minutesor until crispy around edges. Stir in garlic, cumin and oregano; cook for 1 minute. Stir in beans; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until well coated. Stir in 1/2 cup (125 mL) water; cook for about 5 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates and beans are heated through. Mash with potato masher.
- Tostadas: Pour enough oil into large skillet to come 1/2 inch (1 cm) up side; heat over medium-heat. Working in 4 batches, fry tortillas for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown and crisp; drain on paper towel–lined baking sheet.
- Lime Crema: Stir together sour cream, lime juice and salt until well combined.
- Just before serving, preheat grill to medium-high heat; grease grate well. Remove steaks from marinade, shaking off any excess. Discard marinade. Grill steaks for 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare or until cooked as desired. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Top each tostada with refried beans, avocado, steak, jalapeño and pickled red onions. Drizzle with crema. Sprinkle queso fresco (or feta) and cilantro over top. Serve with lime wedges.
Tip: Add shredded cabbage or lettuce to tostadas if desired.
Recipe by Noble Premium Bison https://www.noblepremiumbison.ca